20ga for waterfowl - Buck Barn
Buck Barn

Interested In Advertising With Us? ...Click Here!

Go Back   Buck Barn > Main Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2015, 04:48 PM
Barner

Default 20ga for waterfowl

My 10y/o daughter wants to hunt with me. Im thrilled and cant wait to get her behind the youth 870 that was mine when I was her age. She is small, im starting her out with low recoil 3/4oz loads and let her break some clays. But next season she will want to go for waterfowl. Is the 20ga effective using steel shot on waterfowl? In particular this is a 870 wingmaster think its a fixed mod choke on a 24" barrel.
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2015, 05:17 PM
Veteran Barner

deff is just pattern the gun for her and dont take wild shots!!!i dont know if you remember phil robertson before he was the duck commander but he used a 16gauge

Old 03-27-2015, 09:24 PM
Junior Barner

20 gauge is all I shoot for waterfowl be it ducks or geese. Not much difference in pellet count comparing 1 oz 20ga to 1 1/8 oz 12ga using the same size shot. Shells are cheaper too.

Mark

Old 03-28-2015, 09:16 AM
Veteran Barner

yupo and it also takes the fear out of pulling the trigger for a young hunter

Old 03-30-2015, 08:01 AM

You should be fine. IMO I would look into a aftermarket choke tube. It will only improve the shooting. Also, like others have said pattern the gun. Check to see what shoots best out out of the gun. kinda the same things I'd tell anyone shooting a shotgun for either turkey, upland, or waterfowl, but more so because she's shooting a 20ga. The 20ga won't have the amount of shot a 12ga 3"-3.5" shell will. Not that you must have that, it's just nicer having more to throw out there. It'll be good just to the homework. Plus it gives her range time. The more range time the more shouldering and muscle memory she's gain. Maybe get her into shooting trap also. That will help.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:50 AM
Barner

To date she has not shot a shotgun, limited to rimfire only. This weekend I am taking her out with 3/4oz target loads and let her shoot some clays on the ground and progress from there. I think I am more excited then she is. lol I am being careful not to scare her with recoil, she only weighs 80lbs.
The 870 youth that I have for her is fixed choke. After she is used to the shotgun we will have to try a variety of steel to see what patterns well. I just bought a A300 Extrema and need to do the same.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:55 PM

Maybe the first several shots stand right behind her to help take any recoil. A semi would help take some recoil out for her.

I had a buddy who pulled a fast one on his son a year ago. His son was a mentor youth. I believe he's 10. Soooo he had his son shooting the lightest target loads he could find. This was a 20ga btw. The son shot and shot and shot at turkey targets and became very good. His father right before turkey season patterned the shotgun to 3" hevi mag blends. Never told the son. The morning opener came around and he loaded the shotgun for him when they first sat down. They called a bird in and his son made a successful shot. He loaded the shotgun with the mag round, but never told the son. The son never knew the difference when he pulled the trigger on the bird. Still doesn't know. Sometimes it's a mental block shooting a bigger, heavier, (scarier) round.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEarcher View Post
Maybe the first several shots stand right behind her to help take any recoil. A semi would help take some recoil out for her.

I had a buddy who pulled a fast one on his son a year ago. His son was a mentor youth. I believe he's 10. Soooo he had his son shooting the lightest target loads he could find. This was a 20ga btw. The son shot and shot and shot at turkey targets and became very good. His father right before turkey season patterned the shotgun to 3" hevi mag blends. Never told the son. The morning opener came around and he loaded the shotgun for him when they first sat down. They called a bird in and his son made a successful shot. He loaded the shotgun with the mag round, but never told the son. The son never knew the difference when he pulled the trigger on the bird. Still doesn't know. Sometimes it's a mental block shooting a bigger, heavier, (scarier) round.
That sounds like a solid plan. The adrenaline and excitement of the hunt hide the recoil.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:06 PM
Junior Barner

For what it's worth my son who was about that same weight started with that same youth gun and that youth 870 kicks harder than my 870. So I would throw some padding on her shoulder. I ended up getting him a Remington 1100 youth and that gun was great for him and like the others said, 20ga will drop waterfowl with no problem
Old 04-07-2015, 03:38 PM
Barner

Took her out with the 3/4oz 1200fps loads. The problem as of now is that the youth stock is still to long for her. I need to find a stock that I can cut down to about a 10" LOP. The recoil hurt her but it was because the gun wasnt shouldered properly.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:55 AM

Is it a stock you can cut down? Not sure about finding one that small. They could be out they're just I may not of have seen them. Do you have a bandsaw or know someone with one?
Otherwise, glad to hear it went well.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:31 AM
Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEarcher View Post
Is it a stock you can cut down? Not sure about finding one that small. They could be out they're just I may not of have seen them. Do you have a bandsaw or know someone with one?
Otherwise, glad to hear it went well.
The stock could be cut down but I dont want to. Its a 80's model 870 Wingmaster with beautiful walnut. Im looking for another youth stock that will fit it and I wont mind cutting it down. I do have a bandsaw as well as almost any other tool you could imagine.
www.hp-machine.com is my shop in Vineland.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:53 AM
Barner

I started out with a mossberg 20gauge pump gun 28 years ago, killed alot of animals with that gun