Public land trust hunt - Buck Barn
Buck Barn

Interested In Advertising With Us? ...Click Here!

Go Back   Buck Barn > Main Hunting Forums > Deer Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 02:46 AM
Junior Barner

Default Public land trust hunt

I hunted a Land Trust just as posted earlier. I scouted the land for a couple weeks, set up a area and put a stand up on sunday before, so as not to get it stolen and on my way out I ran into a guy and his son coming out doing the same. He said there were about 5 stands on the land trust and that it does get driven. He also said that the guys that hunt this area have hunted the property for 50 years and they could be pretty mean with strangers on the property (public land?). Took it with a grain of salt.
6 day firearm -
monday - 8 inch spike, with a good size body, coming into stand from my left down the trail. It came in @ 6:40, finally under stand at 7:20 for 40 minutes... I figured dang opening day 1st buck at this rate I'll hold off and try for a rack. Saw nothing else, stayed in stand til 5:03.
Tues. - 8:00 4 good sized does go by in a conga line- second deer on 1st deers butt 3rd on 2nd, 4th on 3rd, they were bunched up, like making a wall of 4 deer, at about 100 ft away. they were crossing from the scrub oaks into the heavy laurel. 9:30 - another doe crossing going the other direction... could have been one of the 4 does.
11:00 a 5 inch spike comes rolling in fast from straight ahead to my right to within 40 ft, stays for about 2 minutes and rolls out as fast as he came rolling out to my right going away. I'm thinking this place is unbelieveable. Thats 6 deer for tuesday and I would be limited out for meat, 2 BUCKS in 2 days.
I'm a zone 65 hunter but as many have said, that orange army by 8:00 opening day sucks.
Wed. hunted after rain stopped saw nothing the whole day but a huge rabbit I mean huge 4 or 5 lbs.
Thurs. had a doe under my stand at 7:00 for 5 minutes it could have been more but it came in from behind me and with that wind blowing I couldn't hear anything. That wind was roaring and I was rocking. I was in the stand 5:15 til 5:03. went home and took a shower to try and thaw out. Washing my hair the boat started rocking. Felt like I was in 3 to 5 footers all day.
Friday - Nuthin
But, the whole week I think there were only 2 other hunters in those woods monday and tuesday and the woods was never driven. I heard three drives way far off on tuesday and that was it. Hunted 5:15 til 5:03 ever day and it was a 45 minute drive to the woods and 15 minutes getting to the stand. I never saw anything move after 11:00 the whole week. Had I known that I would have gone home then instead of waiting 6 more hours til dark. But, It was the most productive piece of public land I have ever hunted. can't wait til next year. 8 deer during the week, 2 were bucks, THATS 25% and I would have been limited out by 7:05 TUESDAY... THAT would have been a 1ST-- for me...for South Jersey deer...
SCORE = DEER 8..... ME ZERO
Next year I'm taking a headcam into the woods to record the hunt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2009, 05:59 AM
Junior Barner

Which Land Trust Piece were you in? I hunt one and it got driven day one!!!
Old 12-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Barner

good report you will get them next time

Old 12-15-2009, 03:57 AM
Junior Barner

The land trust was off moss mill below hammonton it runs up to the mullica river, 610 acres.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:50 AM
Veteran Barner

don't spot burn.

next year you will complain there are too many guys in there.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Veteran Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ub1243 View Post
don't spot burn.

next year you will complain there are too many guys in there.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Barner

i know where im hunting next year! just kidding, you shouldnt have put the location on here, some guys wont be joking.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Junior Barner

I Didn't spot burn there bass barner... he'll have to do some research to figure out where the place is... by the way there are dozens of more land trusts that the state has not updated yet. The states list is going on 3 years old. Hopefully they update the list and we can spread out a little more. Imagine, too much land for the Orange Army to cover.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Junior Barner

Default ArmedforBear

Just so your aware by looking at your previous posts I was able to locate the site off Clarks Landing Road in Galloway in about 4 minutes.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Barner

Talking

It took me six minutes.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:14 AM
Junior Barner

Default Close but no deer

Now that your paying attention look back at that area , re-read the follow up post and think purple dots when looking at the land trust maps... by the way... blowtoad would be spot burning... then again think purple, move farther over, still on the mullica...

Last edited by ARMED4BEAR; 12-18-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Barner

armedforbear your email is off, here [email protected]
Old 12-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Junior Barner

The purple spots on the Land Trust map are more land trusts that are available but have not been updated yet. You have to ask about them. There are dozens that are not listed since the 2007 map. The green dots are the ones currently listed. I went to the zone office to get more info on the purple dots... down the road...

Last edited by ARMED4BEAR; 12-19-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Junior Barner

I know the area. Scouted it for bow season. Didnt get to hunt it till late October. One hunt and didt get to go back for another week. Some scumbag took my stand and stix down and left it in a pile under the tree. I guess im lucky they didnt take it. Never went back. Some guys think they have exclusive rights to a area. Next time i wont leave so easy. I guess thats New Jersey hunting.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:44 AM
Junior Barner

I know one of the hunters in the area said that there is a Elder guy who rides a quad. He's been hunting the area for 50 years and they say he has that attitude. Even though quads aren't allowed he still does it. No matter what they do to try and deter him it still goes on. They say his young son shoots anything thats moves. They also said that these guys have taken stands down (left them at the bottom of the tree) that they felt were too close to their stands, due to those exclusive rights, whether they use the stands when you use yours or not.