I have a question for crossbow guys - Buck Barn
Buck Barn

Interested In Advertising With Us? ...Click Here!

Go Back   Buck Barn > Main Hunting Forums > Crossbow

Crossbow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2014, 06:09 PM
Veteran Barner

Default I have a question for crossbow guys

I never had a crossbow before, I always hunted with a vertical, but today I bought one. I am amazed with the power but more so with easy of being accurate.
But I do have a question: The guy where I bought it told me I canít use the same broadheads I use for vertical, which in my case is three blade rage. He said I need to use rage for crossbow, although itís the same weight, because it wouldnít open properly? Really? I canít in my mind accept this explanation because I canít understand what would be different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2014, 09:15 PM
Junior Barner

Don't know if I can help you with why but my experience with the Rage (not starting a debate) out of my 380 Matrix they would open early. The shock collar I fell was the problem. I have killed deer with them but have missed them at 15yd cause they opened early. Just my opinion
Old 10-28-2014, 08:27 AM
Veteran Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker dog View Post
Don't know if I can help you with why but my experience with the Rage (not starting a debate) out of my 380 Matrix they would open early. The shock collar I fell was the problem. I have killed deer with them but have missed them at 15yd cause they opened early. Just my opinion

A couple of questions since I am new to this crossbow thing.
Did you use rage for crossbow or regular Rage broadhead for vertical bow.
How do you know it opened early?

Old 10-28-2014, 01:37 PM
Senior Barner

There are some vertical mechanicals that have shown a tendency to open in flight, largely due to the amount of force released when you squeeze the trigger on a crossbow. I can not say if the Rage is one of them or not. I use the Xbow model Razortips by Grim Reaper, because they (supposedly) have different retention clips than the regular model. I've never had an issue with them, and highly recommend them. I prefer to not to have any worries at the moment of truth.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:22 PM
Junior Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
A couple of questions since I am new to this crossbow thing.
Did you use rage for crossbow or regular Rage broadhead for vertical bow.
How do you know it opened early?
I did use the Rage for crossbow and was happy and kill with them (until)
As for opening early I have a slice on my foot stur-up where the blade cut into it. Was enough for me to look into it, this is were google can kill you. I decided to try NAP for crossbow and have been happy. I do take everything with a grain of salt, some will hate some will love them.I had a bad experience and try something new. So far so good. What crossbow did you buy? You are a killer with the vertical just looking for a change?
Old 10-28-2014, 08:06 PM
Veteran Barner

Quote:
I did use the Rage for crossbow and was happy and kill with them (until)
As for opening early I have a slice on my foot stur-up where the blade cut into it. Was enough for me to look into it, this is were google can kill you. I decided to try NAP for crossbow and have been happy. I do take everything with a grain of salt, some will hate some will love them.I had a bad experience and try something new. So far so good. What crossbow did you buy? You are a killer with the vertical just looking for a change?
Thanks for the info I appreciate it. I have killed way too many deer with rage to change now, unless something goes wrong on the xbow. I think most b.heads are good, I used many, but the one you should use is the one you have confidence in. Without this confidence every time something goes wrong you end up blaming the broad head and this is no way to learn from your own mistakes. I just looked at the rage for xbow and the retainer ring is completely different, making it much harder for the blade to open.
I am never giving up hunting with vertical bow. However; there is time and place for everything and yes I am looking to mix it up a bit. I am sure because of the novelty of it I will finish my bow season this year mostly with the xbow but the intention is to hunt with it in the very late season, from late December to the end, when deer are on pins and needles and there is very little cover in the woods. I have one property I hunt which is bow only so this would be a good place for it late season.

One thing I am having a problem with when shooting this beast I canít see the arrow flight. Is that normal or am I just not used to the speed?
I bought 10 point Stealth ss
Old 10-28-2014, 08:07 PM
Barner

I have not had a problem with the two blade rage, but they really take a beating during the shot, I bent the cross bow rage in a deers shoulder last year, I am trying the NAP Shockwave this coming week to see how they perform!
Old 10-28-2014, 08:18 PM
Veteran Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salem County Buck Master View Post
I have not had a problem with the two blade rage, but they really take a beating during the shot, I bent the cross bow rage in a deers shoulder last year, I am trying the NAP Shockwave this coming week to see how they perform!

Thanks I will let you know how it goes if I get lucky enough to get a shot:-)
Old 10-28-2014, 08:38 PM
Junior Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Thanks for the info I appreciate it. I have killed way too many deer with rage to change now, unless something goes wrong on the xbow. I think most b.heads are good, I used many, but the one you should use is the one you have confidence in. Without this confidence every time something goes wrong you end up blaming the broad head and this is no way to learn from your own mistakes. I just looked at the rage for xbow and the retainer ring is completely different, making it much harder for the blade to open.
I am never giving up hunting with vertical bow. However; there is time and place for everything and yes I am looking to mix it up a bit. I am sure because of the novelty of it I will finish my bow season this year mostly with the xbow but the intention is to hunt with it in the very late season, from late December to the end, when deer are on pins and needles and there is very little cover in the woods. I have one property I hunt which is bow only so this would be a good place for it late season.

One thing I am having a problem with when shooting this beast I canít see the arrow flight. Is that normal or am I just not used to the speed?
I bought 10 point Stealth ss
They are tough to see ( could be my eyes) Could be the sound, speed, and blinking. I am now shooting Firenocks and can see them hit target at 60 yds I only target shoot at that range, serious drop.
I did have the Rage with rubber o-ring retainers, could of been problem, could of been me. Like you said you question everything.
Lets see some more of those great pictures, too
Old 10-28-2014, 09:25 PM
Veteran Barner

Quote:
They are tough to see ( could be my eyes) Could be the sound, speed, and blinking. I am now shooting Firenocks and can see them hit target at 60 yds I only target shoot at that range, serious drop.
I did have the Rage with rubber o-ring retainers, could of been problem, could of been me. Like you said you question everything.
Lets see some more of those great pictures, too
I will work on the pics:-)
After having problems with seeing it I already ordered nocturnals so I can at least see where I hit
Thanks again
Old 02-16-2015, 08:26 AM
Barner

Default cross bow

the o ring on the rage crossbow blade is stronger, so it could keep it from opeaning, so regular rage can open in flight, this is what i was told,
Old 08-19-2015, 08:59 PM
Barner

Default X bow choice

you will love the 10 point stealth as it's fast and very accurate.I have owned mine for many yearts, as I bought it when they first came out. You will find that the best accuracy is obtained using fixed broadheads. I use the 100 grain slick trick and have killed dozens of deer with them. Just my opinion but I tend to use what works for me.Good Luck.
Mblues01
Old 10-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Barner

Agree with slick tricks..i'll never use another broadhead as long as they are in business.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:02 PM
Veteran Barner

Well 7 deer killed with my crossbow and all with two blade rage. All worked perfectly.
Last 3 deer I killed at 40 yards, complete pass through and then few more yards. Last three deer I killed with the same Brodhead, only cleaned, but on the last kill one blade bent, as it hit the ground, so I will replace or three blades on it. . As for the difference between crossbow and vertical bow rage the difference is in a beefier retention collar

Thanks guys
Old 11-23-2015, 04:34 PM
Junior Barner

Don't get hung up on the terminology with fixed heads as they are the same. But with exp's, the retaining method may not be strong enough to keep them from opening when shot from very fast crossbows (350 fps and higher).