Problem with TC Prohunter FX - Buck Barn
Buck Barn

Interested In Advertising With Us? ...Click Here!

Go Back   Buck Barn > Equipment & How-To > Muzzleloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 03:45 PM
Veteran Barner

Default Problem with TC Prohunter FX

Great gun but I had some problems and maybe someone here can give me some advice. Hunted with the gun this past season and I really like it. The only problem I have is the breach plug. It comes out very easy, fingers only, after a kill for cleaning but I canít say itís the same when I go to the range and shoot about 6 times before attempting to take it out for cleaning. It ceased up on me twice and it was a nightmare to get it out. I broke the ranch that came with the gun and with the scope right over the plug there isnít much room to get anything on it. Yesterday I had to take the scope off just to get to the plug and even then it was VERY hard to unscrew it. I clean my gun very well and I use Cabelaís Anti-Size Stick. I am calling Thompson Center tomorrow but maybe someone had a similar experienced and could give me some ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Veteran Barner

Well I just talk to TC and they acknowledge they have a little problem with this so called easy out plug.
The problem is that when you have a scope on, even the wrench they give you with the gun is almost useless because at best case scenario you only get a ľ turn before you hit the scope and then you canít even use it. If the wrench groves on the plug, they are at 180 from each other, end up being vertical or close to vertical as you tighten the plug by hands then you canít even get the wrench on. Then again because of the scope no other wrench will fit over the plug.
This is not a problem with one or two shots because the plug comes out easy by hand. However; TC explained to me, with every shot the backward pressure on the plugs becomes greater and greater and eventually it isnít possible to take it out by hand. I asked him if they have and alternate plug which could be unscrewed with a socket wrench, like in some of their other models, but the answer was not at this point but they are working on it. The solution is to take out the plug by hand after one or two shots to prevent the build- up of pressure. Not a big deal considering what you already have to do just to load a muzzy in the first place.
Anyway they are sending me a new plug which I stripped on the outside, and new wrench which I broke.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Veteran Barner

lunatic ,i have the same problem with my inline muzz ,i clean the gun but after i shoot it the breech plug is tight as heck !!its a pain to get out even when i only put it in little over hand tight i usually use a hammer to tap the wrench to shock it loose ,it works but i shouldnt have to do that

Old 04-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Veteran Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUACKHEAD View Post
lunatic ,i have the same problem with my inline muzz ,i clean the gun but after i shoot it the breech plug is tight as heck !!its a pain to get out even when i only put it in little over hand tight i usually use a hammer to tap the wrench to shock it loose ,it works but i shouldnt have to do that
My plug works great with 2 to 3 shots. I can take it out without any tools but after that forget it. At least after talking to TC I know how to prevent it now. It isn’t a big deal to take the plug out and back in, by hand, after two shots. (maybe you can do the same thing even if you need to use your wrench) I never want to go through this again with this gun because with scope on no tools can be used.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Veteran Barner

yea it drives me nuts ,,its crazy how tight it gets ,,i bought a new plug cause my old one got beat up ,,

Old 04-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Banned

I have a cva and it's the easiest gun to take the breach plug out of never had a problem never cease got to love that's stuff
Old 04-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Barner

Default fx

I got the FX last year also and have not had that problem. What powder are you using? I have shot 20-30 shots at a time and snug the plug every 5 shots or so using black horn 209 powder.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Veteran Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by njflinger View Post
I got the FX last year also and have not had that problem. What powder are you using? I have shot 20-30 shots at a time and snug the plug every 5 shots or so using black horn 209 powder.

two 50 gr. pellets by Hodgdon.
I broke my wrench, then I had to take my scope off and use vice grips with pipe extension to get it off.

Last edited by Lunatic; 04-03-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Barner

Default fx

That looks bad was there grease on the threads? and is the o-ring on the plug. I have about 115 shots out of mine and the plug was never stuck maby the plug was bad good luck with the new plug.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 PM
Veteran Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by njflinger View Post
That looks bad was there grease on the threads? and is the o-ring on the plug. I have about 115 shots out of mine and the plug was never stuck maby the plug was bad good luck with the new plug.

Yes I use anti-seize stick and the O-ring is in place.
TC told me they had several complaints and he implied they are working on an alternate plug which would take a socket wrench.

thanks
Old 04-04-2013, 10:29 PM
Senior Barner

Our TC Triumph that we use for hunter education has the same type plug. I had several times in the begining of using it that it was tough to remove after a days shooting. 50-60 shots. Then I started using bore butter to coat the threads instead of the special grease they give you for breach plugs. Man what a difference, easy removal and easy to clean. The Triumph goes through a lot of students when we do class and stopping every other one just doesn't cut the mustard with me. Once I started using the bore butter, no more issues. Now TC might not tell you to do that, but it does work and work well. Just FYI if you start having issues again.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:43 PM
Veteran Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Tales View Post
Our TC Triumph that we use for hunter education has the same type plug. I had several times in the begining of using it that it was tough to remove after a days shooting. 50-60 shots. Then I started using bore butter to coat the threads instead of the special grease they give you for breach plugs. Man what a difference, easy removal and easy to clean. The Triumph goes through a lot of students when we do class and stopping every other one just doesn't cut the mustard with me. Once I started using the bore butter, no more issues. Now TC might not tell you to do that, but it does work and work well. Just FYI if you start having issues again.
I'll definitely give it a try!
Thanks
Old 08-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Junior Barner

How about slotting a heavy screwdriver so you can get up above the scope?
Old 11-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Barner

I use a socket and a 12 inch extension with a rachet and it come out rather easy, but cleaning the tiny hole in the breach plug is a pain, i put alittle bore butter on it......
Old 11-24-2014, 05:17 PM
Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Great gun but I had some problems and maybe someone here can give me some advice. Hunted with the gun this past season and I really like it. The only problem I have is the breach plug. It comes out very easy, fingers only, after a kill for cleaning but I canít say itís the same when I go to the range and shoot about 6 times before attempting to take it out for cleaning. It ceased up on me twice and it was a nightmare to get it out. I broke the ranch that came with the gun and with the scope right over the plug there isnít much room to get anything on it. Yesterday I had to take the scope off just to get to the plug and even then it was VERY hard to unscrew it. I clean my gun very well and I use Cabelaís Anti-Size Stick. I am calling Thompson Center tomorrow but maybe someone had a similar experienced and could give me some ideas?

as stated in another thread try the bore butter or different breach plug grease. not trying to be a smart ass and do not know the specifics of this gun but does it really matter if you can get it out or not? been hunting muzzleloader 30 years and none of my guns had a breach plug that comes out. cleaned from the front and never had any issues with accuracy or powder build up in the lower barrel. just wondering