Need help with ball size - Buck Barn
Buck Barn

Interested In Advertising With Us? ...Click Here!

Go Back   Buck Barn > Equipment & How-To > Muzzleloading

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bowhunter3030
  • 1 Post By Bowhunter3030
  • 1 Post By IMR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 03:13 PM
Barner

Default Need help with ball size

I just got my first .50 cal flintlock and I am not sure what ball size to use. I know that there are .490 and .495. It is a navy arms flintlock hawken style. Any help would be awesome guys thanks.
BillCarson likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 06:16 PM
Veteran Barner

The bigger the balls the better off you are.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Barner

Both work well. use the 490 with a .015 patch or even a .020 patch. The 495 will fit tighter and possibly give a touch more velocity but not by much. Start with the 490. Every rifle is a bit different. Just see how yours is going to behave. Patching- I started with those precuts and hated them. Get a pillow-ticking strip or as a piece of cloth and cut your own strips. Seat the ball over the patching and use the short starter to get the ball just below the muzzle then cut the rest away.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Barner

Thanks for the help guys
BillCarson likes this.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Barner

IMR can you please elaborate one the pillow self made patches ? Where do I start looking for this material? Love this shooting . Thank you.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:52 AM
Senior Barner

I agree with the 490 ball,but I use a .015 prelubed patch.The bigger ball and patch will not go down my barrel

Last edited by Pagrizz; 01-13-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:19 PM
Barner

Reel Quick........... always want to use 100% cotton patching. Pillowticking is generally a blue and white cotton material they make or made pillows from. It is generally around .015 to .018 in thickness. It is sold by the yard. I get mine at Dixon's Muzzleloader Shop in Kempton, PA just west of Allentown. I get it there cause I'm usually getting other things. However, you can buy it from Dixie Gunworks too at about 12.00. I lay the material out and smooth it. Take a marker and yardstick or something such and mark out strips to be cut. Since I shoot a .50 I mark out about 2-2.5 inch wide strips. Then cut the strips out and roll them up snug and rubberband each one, and store them in an ammo box. I want the strips to be that wide for full ball coverage and easy trimming.... Put the patch strip over the muzzle. Place ball on top and press down. Use ball seater to punch the ball down about 1/2 inch. Then gather up the material like you are pinching salt and use a sharp knife to cut the patching material away from the ball. Then the ball starter to set the ball down 6-8 inch down the barrel. Ramrod to seat it against the powder charge. Now, most guys will use a patch lube and guys also just use spit. So, soak it in your mouth like gum before setting it on the barrel. Thing is you want some kind of lube on the patch as it moves down the barrel. This keeps the patch from being cut by the rifling. ***** search up blackpowder patching on the net and read a couple articles. There are lotza ways guys use lube. Read Muzzleloader magazine. Should be able to find copies in the rack at Field & Stream. If you are into black powder you gotta go to Dixon's. It's like a candy store for muzzleloaders of all types. AND, definately go to the Riflemakers Fair around the end of July every year. Look up Dixon's on the web.##### Last note, I tried precut and prelubed Oxyoke patches way too long ago and didn't like them cause they were too small and hard to get decent coverage around the ball. Hope this helps a bit.
BillCarson likes this.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:18 PM
Junior Barner

I agree, Dixon's is the right place.