stuck bullet - Buck Barn
Buck Barn

Interested In Advertising With Us? ...Click Here!

Go Back   Buck Barn > Equipment & How-To > Muzzleloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 08:10 PM
Veteran Barner

Default stuck bullet

yrs ago i used to shoot my 50cal newenglander when i put it away an bought my inline i forgot to discharge the bullet now i really wanna kill a deer with it again an the bullet is really stuck any ideas i mean its stuck bad ,,,,,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Veteran Barner

Have you tried screwing in a worm and just pulling it out?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Barner

Flintlock or percussion? If flintlock, remove touch hole and add fresh powder, replace touch hole and fire away. Assuming you tried a bullet puller?

Old 11-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Veteran Barner

its a percussion and yea hunt tried it i need a metal rod with a slap hammer ,,think im gonna soak it this weekend ,,,the powder in the nipple na been stuck too long il blow myself up

Old 11-30-2012, 05:53 AM
Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUACKHEAD View Post
yrs ago i used to shoot my 50cal newenglander when i put it away an bought my inline i forgot to discharge the bullet now i really wanna kill a deer with it again an the bullet is really stuck any ideas i mean its stuck bad ,,,,,
The powder is very corrosive and when left in acts like its rusted solid and becomes a complete mass with the shot you have in there.

Years ago I did the wrong thing and forgot to clean the inline, now I had the gun discharged, so I was dealing with only residue. With that residue and being I was able to take the breech out, I was able to clean the barrel using a brass wire brush and power drill. It did clean up well with a couple small pits. The gun had sat for 6 months with the powder residue in it.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:29 AM
Junior Barner

QuackHead; I would not fire the gun with a stuck bullet. It is an obstruction in the barrel, it could blow up, you could get hurt.

I like the idea of soaking it with oil. You can't use a torch to apply some quick heat but how about heating the barrel with hot water. While the barrel is hot get on it with the worm puller. JMO.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:47 AM
Veteran Barner

thanks dan!!yea aint no way im usin powder i wish it was an inline it would make life much easier ,,,an you got it saltyfshrmn its one big frozen odstruction its my own dumb fault maybe put pepsi down the barrel thats some rust eatin crap

Old 11-30-2012, 08:40 AM
Veteran Barner

quack no kiddin did exact same thing on my white mountain carbine. i tried everything. i soaked barrle in wd 40 for days , hot water, i heated it but the powder turns hard and giant rust ball.i ruinded my ramrod,put dents in barrel tryin to hold in vise extc. best way to do it is to step drill it out and use bigger worm or screw . i gave mine to my buddy where i used to work . he put in millin machine drilled it out some and welded a screw on longer steel rod to get it out. you also gotta hope the threads done get screwed where nipple is. mine is fine now and even killed a few with it . favorite gun and will never leave loaded again.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Veteran Barner

thanks GW il try it ,,,yea it was a deer killin gun i just wanted to go old school on a deer

Old 11-30-2012, 09:11 AM
Veteran Barner

lol yea my son has a wolf much easier to clean.but nothin like old fashioned looking guns.good luck
Old 11-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Barner

Quackhead if you can find a can of Kroil somewhere the stuff is worth it's weight in gold. Spray it down the barrel and let it sit for hrs. The longer the better. We use it at work to free up rusty bolts on valve flanges. ( Oil refinery) Works good on lead fowling also. Hope you get it. Good luck
Old 11-30-2012, 01:49 PM
Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUACKHEAD View Post
Have you contacted the manuf., ask them what they recommend. Might be worth a shot.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Junior Barner

QuackHead: found another way to dislodge the bullet.

Soak in oil overnight, use a 3/8" wood dowel, drive bullet deeper in. Then use a CO2 ball discharger or maybe try the worm again.

Shorten the dowel as needed.

In this case a guy left it loaded for 10 yr,s. He used WD-40 overnight.

Good Luck.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Banned

air compressor in nipple...........
Old 12-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Veteran Barner

i dont know hunt ,,no lie its been over 6yrs stuck ,maybe its just a wall ornament