rangefinder - Buck Barn
Buck Barn

Interested In Advertising With Us? ...Click Here!

Go Back   Buck Barn > Equipment & How-To > Bows & Arrows

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Junior Barner

Default rangefinder

Which rangefinder gives you the best bang for the buck. Archery wise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Barner

Nikon
Old 08-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Barner

I have the Nikon team Realtree 550 and I love it....easy to use...GREAT battery life

Old 08-23-2013, 09:46 AM
Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowboy107 View Post
I have the Nikon team Realtree 550 and I love it....easy to use...GREAT battery life
Oh, speaking of Nikon rangefinders! I was just investigating these - can anyone tell me if Nikon has "scan" mode? I'm specifically looking at the Nikon 3 and Nikon 5.

Nowhere can I find if they have "scan" mode. I can't live without scan mode (that's where you press and hold the button, and as you scan around, the range updates itself in realtime - no need to point, aim, and click at each target you want a range on).

Anyone know?
Old 08-24-2013, 06:24 PM
Barner

Why would you want scan mode It's one of the most useless things on a rangefinder Unless you're shooting at moving targets
Old 08-25-2013, 08:51 AM
Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
Why would you want scan mode It's one of the most useless things on a rangefinder Unless you're shooting at moving targets
Because I like starting left, scanning right, and watching the ranges change so I know I actually hit the target I'm pointing at. I use rangefinders mostly when golfing - so, for example, I'll scan left to right - 200, 200, 200, 150, 200, 200.. bingo, I know the flag is 150 yards. If I just point and click, and I see 200, "did I hit the flag? or did I miss it and I got the trees in the back?" Difference between sticking on the green or flying it 50 yards long :-) Same could be said for measuring to a certain tree in the woods, if I know the tree is closest to me, I just scan and look for the closest measurement when the rangefinger crosses the tree.

So, its more of a way for me to ensure I got the target. Otherwise, I'm left wondering if I missed.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Barner

That's understandable using it for golfing,but for hunting it serves little use since you have to get a quick reading at the target and then take a shot i got a old bushnell pro 600 with scan and never found a need for it. I would look at Leica if your hooked on a scan mode but u will pay for it $$$
Old 08-25-2013, 09:40 PM
Banned

Golfing and hunting dont mix. There are laws against it. You must give up one or the other.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:43 PM
Banned

I think those halo's have it. Not sure how good they work. My nikon archers choice has scan.

Last edited by Rr79; 08-26-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:19 AM
Barner

My Vortex Ranger 1000 has that feature. I have tried Nikon, Leupold, and Bushnells and these are the ones I really like. They are very small in your hand, and I learned something new this week from a show that some rangefinders give different yardage's with different color targets, so I tried my Vortex and it gave the same range with different color targets, now my buddy had the Bushnell Arc and his gave different ranges never more than 2 yard's off, just giving you a heads up..
Slick Trick Viper/ Tight Spot quiver/ Carter "Like Mike" Release
Core Archery Strings