The future of APR's in NJ? - Buck Barn
Buck Barn

Interested In Advertising With Us? ...Click Here!

Go Back   Buck Barn > Main Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management

Wildlife Management Discussion regarding the process of keeping certain wildlife populations, including endangered animals, at desirable levels as determined by wildlife managers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 07:26 AM
Senior Barner

Default The future of APR's in NJ?

If you would like to see the use of APR's expand, or at least survive where they were just implemented, I suggest you write a letter or send an email to the F&G Council.

Dave Burke, the Council Chair, is calling for a new survey to measure the dissatisfaction with the APR's in the zones where they were just implemented last season. He feels that after just two seasons, a fair measure of the program can be achieved and is calling for another survey to see if hunters still want them or not.

If you think that one or two seasons is not enough to truly measure the success of the program, you're right. Obviously, he doesn't care about that and is only trying to capture the highest level of dissatisfied hunters he can by calling for a survey during the period where hunters have to make the sacrifices without being able to see the rewards. It takes several seasons for the program to pay off, and he seems hell bent on ending it before that payoff can be realized.

Please write to the Fish and Game Council. Send letters or emails to several members if you can. Mr. Burke is dedicated to ending the program before it ever gets going, ask them all to give it a fair chance and wait five years before such a follow-up is conducted.

Last edited by DV1; 03-07-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Barner

Default ??

OK, what is an APR?
Old 03-09-2012, 06:08 AM
Veteran Barner

you and i both know the survey will be slanted to favor whatever agenda they have.
they will not listen to the people paying their salaries. they won't listen to the people paying for these surveys.
they will change the results of the survey. then say, this is what the hunters wanted.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:21 AM
Senior Barner

As a reminder, here is what they did with the survey last time. It still resulted in over 70 percent approval but I'm hearing now the person asking for the survey says we need 75 percent approval or greater for the regulation.

http://www.thebuckbarn.com/forum/sho...ghlight=survey

You can write them here and tell them to keep APR's, if you want them, and maybe ask them to stop trying to engineer the results they want (how about they try being a real Wildlife Management entity instead of a political body) and give the program a fair chance to work.

NJ Fish and Game Council (or specific members thereof)
c/o N.J. Division of Fish and Wildlife
Mail Code 501-03
P.O. Box 420
Trenton, NJ 08625-0420

Last edited by DV1; 03-09-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:22 AM
Senior Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermoor View Post
OK, what is an APR?
Antler Point Restriction, ie; 3 points on one side.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:46 AM
Veteran Barner

i agree with you guys. it needs more time. maybe they didnt the results they wanted because they waited to long to implement them. need a few yrs just for herds to rebuild . i dont have an apr close to me but i know where a couple r on the way to the bay, they look killer. ive muzzloaded them yrs ago but havent in long time.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:03 AM
Barner

I guess the clubs are against the APR - it would reduce their NUMBERS !
I will definitely write to f & G!!! APRs are way overdue in the remaining zones.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:29 AM
Barner

I disagree with APR's. The only people that need the state to tell them how big a buck has to be before they decide to kill him, is the orange army. I digress, because there's too much money generated by them so it will never change. APR's have proven to be ineffective. APR's cause more deer reach maturity, which means they are harder to kill. The result? Young 6/8 point bucks get harvested because they are technically "easier" to kill. Reduce the # of buck tags per hunter, be selective and everyone police themselves. If you only have 1 or 2 buck tags for the entire season, are you going to shoot a Y buck in mid October???
Old 03-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Senior Barner

I could care less personally. With that said i hunt very public land in the pines. I've shot Y bucks that were 2 1/2-3 1/2 years old. If my freezer is low and a spike walks by, i wont think twice about it he's invited to my freezer. I hunt because I enjoy it...not for antlers. dont get me wrong i targeted a certain buck this year and passed one a few. I dont need a law or person to dictate what I can and cannot shoot....in addition to whats already on the books. If I want that i'll go hunt with an outfitter.
If you do this in a place like Wharton the week after buck week your gonna have a bunch of dead spikes and Y bucks in the woods. Sad BUT VERY TRUE. I already find enough dead does.

Do away with unlimited doe harvest. Lower the # of bucks you can take from 6 to 2 or 3. It works in other states.
Beretta 390a
T/C Encore