Proposed changes... - Buck Barn
Buck Barn

Interested In Advertising With Us? ...Click Here!

Go Back   Buck Barn > Main Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management

Wildlife Management Discussion regarding the process of keeping certain wildlife populations, including endangered animals, at desirable levels as determined by wildlife managers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 08:58 AM
Barner

Default Proposed changes...

Today, the game laws that are potentially being changed were posted on fish and game's website. I know of a few things that are on the table, but there is no specific information about what is proposed, how they are reorganizing deer regulation sets, changing season lengths, or bag limits. Here is the link you can use to comment

http://www.nj.gov/dep/rules/comments

Notice of Rule Proposal
2013-2014 Game Code N.J.A.C. 7:25-5
PUBLIC NOTICE
Take notice that the NJ Department of Environmental Protection is proposing amendments. A statement of the substance of the proposal follows: The Game Code, N.J.A.C. 7:25-5, states when, under what circumstances, in what location, by what means, and what amounts and numbers, game-birds, game animals and fur-bearing animals may be pursued, taken, killed or had in possession. The proposed amendments include the following:
  • the addition of air guns as allowed weapons for the take of rabbit, hare and squirrels
  • the addition of Hungarian partridge as a species that may be legally harvested when stocked on semi-wild and commercials hunting preserves and when encountered incidentally on adjacent properties
  • the inclusion of quail for take on youth upland bird hunt day on specific Wildlife Management Areas
  • expansion of the last two weeks of spring turkey hunting from half-day to full-day hours
  • the reallocation of beaver trapping permits to beaver management zones experiencing beaver damage problems
  • the expansion of otter trapping to include previously closed otter management zones
  • the inclusion of greater cable diameters on specific coyote traps for increased efficacy
  • allowing turkey hunters to harvest coyotes incidental to legal turkey hunting
  • the expansion of options in sporting arms and ammunition for coyote hunting to increase efficacy. Rifles of specified caliber with specific ammunition will be allowed during the day and larger shot size will be allowed for shotguns during night hunting
  • the reorganization of deer regulation sets, which define season lengths and bag limits, to better achieve management goals and distribute hunting opportunity
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Senior Barner

here's a link to the changes themselves:

http://www.nj.gov/dep/rules/proposals/20130415a.pdf
Old 06-27-2013, 06:45 PM
Veteran Barner

man i wish they would take away early sept bow and unlimited does in january ,,jmo!!!i cant read that fine print sorry

Old 06-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Banned

I'm good with getting rid of unlimited does but not with greeting rid of early bow only time I really get to hunt until November
Old 08-31-2013, 08:26 PM
Barner

How about the rifle change on foxes and coyotes does that mean you can use a 223!
Old 08-31-2013, 11:09 PM
Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dads501 View Post
How about the rifle change on foxes and coyotes does that mean you can use a 223!
That's exactly how I read it! I picked up my digest today and the guy behind the counter said, "did you check out the new rules for coyote and fox? you can take out your AR-15 now"

I didn't believe it, but I read it and it sure sounds like you can. Which is pretty amazing for New Jersey. I'm starting to think someone made a mistake and didn't realize the loophole they added. I can just imagine the democrats in this state screeching... "div. fish and wildlife allows what in this state???? people can run around in the woods with an AR-15??????"

Look at page 62 of the digest here and tell me that wouldn't include an AR-15 with .223???

Quote:
"Centerfire rifles: From .17 to maximum of .25 caliber with soft point or hollow point bullets and maximum of 80 grains."
I, myself, don't have one - I'm just glad there's a way for me to now get out and hunt with my .22 on public land that doesn't require me to go out in the dead of night.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Senior Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzgolf View Post
That's exactly how I read it! I picked up my digest today and the guy behind the counter said, "did you check out the new rules for coyote and fox? you can take out your AR-15 now"

I didn't believe it, but I read it and it sure sounds like you can. Which is pretty amazing for New Jersey. I'm starting to think someone made a mistake and didn't realize the loophole they added. I can just imagine the democrats in this state screeching... "div. fish and wildlife allows what in this state???? people can run around in the woods with an AR-15??????"

Look at page 62 of the digest here and tell me that wouldn't include an AR-15 with .223???

I, myself, don't have one - I'm just glad there's a way for me to now get out and hunt with my .22 on public land that doesn't require me to go out in the dead of night.
what are you planning to hunt with your 22?
Old 09-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by R & R View Post
what are you planning to hunt with your 22?
I may want to try fox - if so, I'll take the .22. I know 'yote hunting with .22lr isn't the best thing to try, I may try shotgun for 'yote. I was hoping people here would give me advice on what's best to use.