NJ AR 10yr study - Buck Barn
Buck Barn

Interested In Advertising With Us? ...Click Here!

Go Back   Buck Barn > Main Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management

Wildlife Management Discussion regarding the process of keeping certain wildlife populations, including endangered animals, at desirable levels as determined by wildlife managers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 12:32 PM

Default NJ AR 10yr study

I'm suprised nobody found this sooner. Here is NJ AR 10yr research study

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2010/apr_data_summary10_ppt.pdf

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Barner

I went to the meeting/ presentation a few years ago that the state put on about it. They showed this data. The members of fish and game who gave the presentation seemed very much against the aprs... I have friends that live in areas who live in the areas that had apr who said the hunting was much better with them in place. I also met a biologist from state who worked at check stations who said that he saw much bigger deer after apr introduced... Who knows .. I wish they would Implement apr in the zones I hunt
Old 12-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Veteran Barner

This is a pretty cool report tho to prove that, at the very least, AR will increase the average age of bucks taken.

I don't even need to read the study to believe in AR. I KNOW it works! Up in NE PA we are fortunate that the area property owners and ourselves have committed to take only quality and/or older bucks and let the younger ones have more time to grow. I'm tellin ya it's a fact that AR works! Even the younger bucks now are sporting 8 point racks and there are so much fewer spikes and scrub bucks than in the past years that it's been an amazing transition since AR came into play in PA. I'm sold and we are seeing and taking far better bucks now.

One thing to remember, it's far easier for me and some other veteran hunters to pass up the smaller tho legal bucks because we've already taken many many bucks over the years. We want the bigger challenge and we've already tasted many years of 'success'. Many younger hunters will be in the 'I gotta get a buck mode' for some period of years before they are willing to chase after the ongoing bigger challenge and quite frankly I was too. And not everyone has the opportunity to hunt in a QDM area. The price of QDM? I ain't gonna shoot as many bucks as in years past. I've had multiple opportunities to take various 8 points this season and passed on em because the trail cams show us that there are higher quality bucks in the area. It ain't over yet but I prolly won't be able to claim I got a buck this year, but I know I could have. Oh well...no bragging rights for me. There are some big ones still running around that I'll have a chance at next year and maybe there will be a couple more high quality bucks too!

If a man is alone in the woods...and no woman can hear him...is he STILL wrong?

Old 01-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Barner

I love the APR placement. this yr I have seen bigger bucks than in the past. I wish they would do it in all zones. I cant wait until a few years from now when these deer have had the chance to get older and bigger
Old 01-29-2013, 09:43 AM
Veteran Barner

awsome post 20pt. very true. just the idea of gettin that first buck is somethin all hunters look for. b it 4 pt or whatever. again good response.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:13 PM
Barner

I wish they were statewide. Pa hunters have seen much better bucks since ARs were introduced. I don't think NJ cares about quality deer. They only care about $$$$ and dead deer.
I do believe that youth hunters should be able to kill at least 1 buck of any size per year.

Last edited by dstreet; 04-13-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:42 PM
Barner

I read it differently then some of you did. I don't think they are calling it a failure based on the there not being more mature deer...in fact they clearly state the deer were living longer and maturing. Where it sounds like they were expecting better results were with in the number of trophy class animals, and what the findings showed is that the deer although OLDER and more mature (which means hunters are seeing better bucks) they were not growing into book type deer.

This honestly doesn't surprise me as to truly have a QDM program to breed trophy class animals goes far beyond antler restrictions. You need to get the doe to buck ration to as close to a 1:1 ratio as possible...means killing more doe, cull all bucks with lesser genetics and to allow the deer with more dominant genes to mature and breed, and last but not least enhance the food source to get maxium growth and nutrition.

Again, I think they state clearly it works, just not to the results they expected with growing bucks big....it shows that even with an antler restriction...our heard is too out of balance and the deer are only getting so big...always a few that do get to Book size, but the vast majority don't according to this study.

Last edited by Tenpointrack; 10-23-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:52 AM
Veteran Barner

Quote:
Even the younger bucks now are sporting 8 point racks and there are so much fewer spikes and scrub bucks than in the past years
I agree with this, but I don't know how it is possible. How does bucks living longer increase the size of the young bucks? I think that has more to do with herd reduction. More nutrition for the younger bucks.

If anything, ARs would reduce the size of the young bucks. The 1.5 year old 5, 6, 7 and 8-pointers get killed while the spikes and forks live to breed.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:22 AM
Barner

It doesn't work... The results are right there, read them. Killing 6 & 8 point bucks is not qdm. Your kidding yourself. How anyone can believe there are somehow magically less spikes and "scrub" bucks is mind boggling.
The "missing yearling bucks" in the study , that's the unlimited button buck slaughter.
Leaving spikes and inferior year and half old bucks in the herd to breed doesn't not add inches to racks, it adds years to the teeth.. Even the study says it.
I am for it only for the fact it prevents a few deer from being killed.

The state can not grow bucks, unselfish hunters can.

Friends don't let friends use Xbows.......[/I][/COLOR]
Old 12-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Barner

Seeing an older mature buck,really large antlers only 2 points on each side,this deer is a big one and in a 3 point zone he is always getting a pass.