Clearing woods. - Buck Barn
Buck Barn

Interested In Advertising With Us? ...Click Here!

Go Back   Buck Barn > Main Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management

Wildlife Management Discussion regarding the process of keeping certain wildlife populations, including endangered animals, at desirable levels as determined by wildlife managers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Barner

Default Clearing woods.

Earlier this year I noticed pink and blue ribbons all over the WMA in a few of the spots that I hunt. Thought it was the clubs from last year or a very LOST hunter. I followed them one day and realized that they basically made a semi-circle in the woods then eventually made it back to the road again. Well, I was trying some other pieces of state land and came back to this spot about a week ago only to find the state had cleared out the exact spot where I was hunting (the place I parked is now a giant mulch mountain) for about 1000yards wide by about 500 yards deep into the woods. They also did this in a few other spots close by. I would have thought that since I pay hundreds of dollars each year to hunt that I would atleast be left alone by the State during hunting season...or the very least would have seen some sort of notification in the area or on the internet. I checked F&W webpage but found no mentions of clear cutting anywhere on the page. Does anybody have any idea on why they are clear cutting state WMA's and why on God's green earth they would do it during hunting season and not during the spring/summer?

Last edited by Dirtypenny725; 11-16-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 07:19 AM
Senior Barner

Quote:
Does anybody have any idea on why they are clear cutting state WMA's and why on God's green earth they would do it during hunting season and not during the spring/summer?
I think this explains it.....

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are:
'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
Ronald Reagan
40th president of US (1911 - 2004)
Old 11-17-2012, 12:20 PM
Veteran Barner

lmao !! dude they just dont care about us they did the same thing near my house they cut all the oaks out it went to the lowest bidder !!i called the state they said its the pinebarrens we dont need oak trees the guy ran all over the pine saplings an any little tree there was huge trak trenches from his machines ,,,what a joke this state forest is

Old 11-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Barner

Well, my father talked to a friend of ours who is a State Trooper and he said they cleared it out due to an infestation the southern pine beetle. More info can be found on the NJDEP website. Makes sense now because in anothe spot they cut down nothing but pine trees...either way could have put something up to let me know I was going to lose my deer stand and spot.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Junior Barner

Thanks DP for bring your bed bugs in the woods and ruining my hunting spot. Lol j/k smh.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:11 AM
Barner

It wasn't my bed bugs it was your crabs.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Junior Barner

You know what come to think of it you are probably right. Darn!
Old 11-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Veteran Barner

they did give u a warning. the put diff ribbons in there. clubs dont use ribons cause guys like me will tear them all down if they go by my tree. they use paint and numbers on the drives.also the state does let guys go in on occasion and get firewood. yrs ago i caught some guys cuttinabout an acre in one of my favorite spots. i stopped and yelled at them and said i was callin police.. ha it was state officers. they explained its old growth and it will help the habitat for the deer. well yrs later i must say it does hold some deer. but like u mentioned if it were pine it was most likely the beetle removal. . so when we see ribbon appear in woods we now now destruction is emminent.lol
Old 11-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Barner

I'm aware that clubs use paint, however when I first saw the ribbon it was last year during 6-day firearm season. Noticed more this year, what sucks is I hunt two completely different WMA's and the ribbon is in both areas. If it isn't EHD or coyotes ruining the deer herd in my area's its the state destroying their habitat. The past 7 years I've seen such a difference in not only the size of deer, but the amount of deer seen.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Barner

Smile Clearing woods

yes it's the states way of making new growth for deer ....they have been doing it since he late 70's pay attention to the lots that they cut out walk around and check for deer signs
Old 02-09-2013, 10:08 AM
Junior Barner

Default ribbons

seen same thing in bellplaine. several places looked closer cleared dirt bike trails state forest .
Old 02-13-2013, 07:29 AM
Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtypenny725 View Post
I'm aware that clubs use paint, however when I first saw the ribbon it was last year during 6-day firearm season. Noticed more this year, what sucks is I hunt two completely different WMA's and the ribbon is in both areas. If it isn't EHD or coyotes ruining the deer herd in my area's its the state destroying their habitat. The past 7 years I've seen such a difference in not only the size of deer, but the amount of deer seen.
if you think the state is destroying the habitat by trying to get ride of the pine beatles you are wrong. have u ever seen the damage that those beatles can do in a years time? imo I thank the state for cutting those trees because if they don't do something about it those beatles will destroy EVERY pine tree in the area and then move to the next