Tip: How to take good Trophy photos - Buck Barn
Buck Barn

Interested In Advertising With Us? ...Click Here!

Go Back   Buck Barn > Main Hunting Forums > Bowhunting

Old 09-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Junior Barner

Default Tip: How to take good Trophy photos

Over the the years I have seen some very good photos and some very bad photos. You only have one shot at this so you want to do it right. First I will mention things that don't look good in photos. The back ground is important. Buildings, trucks, farm equipment and other objects doesn't look good in a photo. If your taking photos of a buck make sure the antlers due not blend in with the back ground. It is best to skyline the antlers if possible. Remember to clean the deer up, bloodly pics. don't look good either.
Here are some tips to make your photos look good. First find a good natural back ground for your photos. Then you have to clean up your deer for the shots. Windex window cleaner and paper towels works excellent for clean blood off of your trophy. You can also get a set of fake eyes form your taxidermist. Remember to brush the hair so it lays in the direction it is suppose to as well. Next you need to get your deer in postion for the photos. I like to tuck the legs under the deer if possible to get the deer on his belly and not laying on his side. Next you need to get behind the deer and sit on your butt so you do not make the deer look small. It best to postion yourself right behind the shoulder. That way it is easier to hold the head up. Try to hold the deer head right under his ears and not the antlers. Your hands can block the view of the antlers and sometimes make the antlers look small. You should try and hide your hand that is holding the deer as much as possible. It is best to wear gloves so your hands don't stick out in the photos. If they are exposed. Remember to include your weapon and take many different angles. And take your time it is not a race. Here are some of my trophy photos. Good luck this fall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_2444.jpg (135.6 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 102_2408.jpg (105.3 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 101_2212.jpg (90.0 KB, 86 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Barner

what would you suggest after losing both of my small food plots to mother nature for all this rain we had, i now have a nice patch of grass that i would be proud to have in my yard lol. they were under a foot of water for about a week, i guess just re rake and seed?
Old 09-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Junior Barner

thats right if you harvest a big buck it makes sense to take your time and get good photos . fun tip kale keep up the good work lady creekdide

Creekside Outdoors

Creekside Outdoors Supports The Buck Barn
Old 09-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Barner

Good post !
Old 09-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Junior Barner

Futbal2332, The only thing you can do is replant. It stinks when that happens. I had to replant some my food plots as well. And tonight we are going to get frost. So they won't grow any more after tonight. Good Luck
Old 09-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Senior Barner

Kale, nice tips! You do have some nice pics
You are correct, see some nice bucks with horrible pics, spent all that time and was blessed enough to harvest him take the timeand get some nice pics.