Before, during, or after storm? - Buck Barn
Buck Barn

Interested In Advertising With Us? ...Click Here!

Go Back   Buck Barn > Main Hunting Forums > Deer Hunting

Old 01-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Barner

Default Before, during, or after storm?

Being a new hunter, I wanted to know the best time to hunt when storms are coming in whether it's rain or snow. Are the deer more prone to move or eat before, during, or after a storm? I read different opinons in magazines and websites but thought I could maybe find some interesting ones on here from experienced hunters. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 04:43 PM

Usually before a major storm their is an increase in activity. During the storm (depending on severity) not so much activity. They really don't want to put out the energy with dealing with the conditions if the can't replenish that energy. And usually after a storm their is an increase in activity. I have to edmit one of my favorite times to spot and stalk is during a snow storm. Only if their is some visability during the storm and it's safe for me. They bed up during a storm and most of the time their senses can be dampend by the condition of the storm.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Senior Barner

welp in my experience i have had most success before and after.....before is my favorite, the deer know when the bad weather is comming so they will eat up and stay bedded down through the storm....then after they are hungry from being bedded down so they are out at it again....that is my OPINION.....Also, with it being late season weather is your best friend as most deer on public land go nocturnal from all of the hunting pressure, weather can be just the thing to get them big boys out in the daylight..... if i were you i would be out all day thursday you will have a great shot at seeing something.....good luck
Old 01-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Veteran Barner

X2 and if u hunt early get there a little earlier when snow is on the ground cause you can see way better. I find what is written above by the new guy the same as I would say.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Barner

They definantly feel the pressure to eat before a storm. especially if there is wind they wont move during the storm much. and they get ready to eat again after. i spend my time before after on the food and during in the thick low areas.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:47 PM
Barner

The answer to your question is..... Get out there and hunt, before, during, and after a storm.. I had sucess in all phases of storms, becouse im out there hunting. Im a firm believer in "Bad weather bucks". Goodluck!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:07 AM
Barner

Before and after the storm is the most activity from the deer you will see. Good luck.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Veteran Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwild View Post
The answer to your question is..... Get out there and hunt, before, during, and after a storm.. I had sucess in all phases of storms, becouse im out there hunting. Im a firm believer in "Bad weather bucks". Goodluck!
Agreed. But if i had limited time and could afford to be choosy, i would pic the evening hunt following bad weather. Thats when i have seen the most activity.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Barner

1/2 daysBefore depending on other things . Watch when the Barometric pressure starts dropping. And then as soon as the Storm stops be in you stand when it stops, not 1 hour later.