Harrington & Richardson (H & R) Ultra Slug Hunter Misfires - Buck Barn
Buck Barn

Interested In Advertising With Us? ...Click Here!

Go Back   Buck Barn > Equipment & How-To > Guns & Ammunition

Old 10-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Junior Barner

Default Harrington & Richardson (H & R) Ultra Slug Hunter Misfires

Last year I started having problems with my H & R Ultra Slug Hunter not firing my Remington Copper Solid Slugs. Initially, I thought the ammunition was faulty. Never did have opportunity to actually take a deer last year, but was not convinced that it was entirely the ammunition.

This year, back to the range to sight in my new Nikon BDC reticle scope on the H & R USH. Couldn't find any slugs that grouped like the Remington Copper Solids and believe me, I tried. The gun absolutely did NOT like Hornady SSTs.

Anyway, thought I had my scope all tuned in and ready to go and then I had another "misfire". Boy, I was not happy. So, again thinking it was faulty ammo, I removed the cartridge. Inserted another one and again, misfire. The primers were slightly dented but not enough to break over the internal anvil. However, this time, I tried to refire the shells and after a couple of attempts, they did fire.

I took the shotgun to the local gunsmith and he felt that possibly a new hammer spring and firing pin may be in order. The repair wasn't going to be that costly so I left it with him for repair. Fortunately, I decided to contact H & R regarding the problem and found out that they are "updating" any old USH shotguns as there is apparently a problem with the transfer bar mechanism. They are supposed to provide me with a shipping label to send firearm to one of their authorized dealers to make repairs. I need to go retrieve my USH from the local gun smith.

So, the long and short of it is contact H & R and they should assist you. The bad news is that I will need to re-sight the scope in once back from repair.

Hope this helps others that are having "misfires" in there USH.

Good hunting!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2010, 09:03 PM
Barner

Is it just older models, I have a 20 gauge that I bought last year.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:30 AM
Barner

Thanks for the heads up , i havent had any issues with mine but if i do i know how to handle it.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Junior Barner

Default 12 Ga. Ultra Slug guns seem to be fine

I belong to a 35 man hunting club in South Jersey. 14 of us out of the 35 hunt with 12 Ga. H&R Ultra Slug guns and 2 hunt with 20 Ga. H&R Ultra Slug guns. After a day of hunting the Jersey pines we sit around the club house and talk. To-date, I have yet to hear one single complaint about the 12 Ga. version but both of the guys who own the 20 Ga. version have had to send their guns back to H&R more than once for repair. One of them actually traded his 20 Ga. for a 12 Ga. right after the season ended. 13 of the 14 of us with 12 Ga. Ultra Slug guns got deer this season. Both of the 20 Ga. Ultra Slug owners had misfires on deer.

From the accuracy I've enjoyed with my 12 Ga. Ultra Slug I would have to say that it is by far the most undervalued slug gun on the market today. At 100 yds, my gun consistently prints a 3-shot cloverleaf and even a single jagged hole from a sandbagged benchrest. In the Jersey pines, it is a rarity to get a shot of over 50 to 60 yds. so I've never even tried to see how my Ultra Slug does at 150 or 200 yds. I did replace my older Nikon 4x scope with a new 3x9 Nikon Slughunter scope with a BDC reticule after this season ended in preparation for hunting a leased farm in Maryland that has numerous large fields that offer the potential for 200 yds shots. Guess I'll be spending some time at the range over the summer to see how the new setup works at 150 and 200 yds. I am also planning on buying a good rangefinder to use from my treestand in Maryland.

Bottom line is this: if you buy an H&R Ultra Slug gun (and I highly recommend them) get the 12 Ga. version as the 20 Ga. has just had too many problems with misfires. If you are recoil sensitive (like me) put a Limbsaver recoil pad on the 12 Ga. and you will be amazed at just how much it reduces felt recoil. I am shooting 3" sabot slugs and before I got my Limbsaver recoil pad, firing more than one 3-shot group was painful. Now, I could shoot those 3" sabot slugs all day long.