Problems with the H&R 20 ga ultra slugger - Buck Barn
Buck Barn

Interested In Advertising With Us? ...Click Here!

Go Back   Buck Barn > Equipment & How-To > Guns & Ammunition

Old 12-14-2009, 04:51 AM
Barner

Default Problems with the H&R 20 ga ultra slugger

Bought this gun a couple of years ago..Liked how it shot but on one occasion it did not go off while I was sighting it in...I just thought, "that was strange"....I was shotting lighfields at that time....I switched over to Hornany's sst and sighted it in....hunting situation pulled the trigger,"CLICK!!" didnt go off and cost me a deer. I thought must be a problem with the primer so when I got home I shot it and all was well...Took it out another time before the next season and shot it....while practicing it went "CLICK" and would not shoot this one shell. would make an indent on it but wouldnt go off....tried it again and found another shell that it wouldnt shoot on fist time...I made the switch back to lightfields and the gun didnt misfire during practice...again , later during a hunting situation and the gun went "CLICK" and cost me another deer! ok I call H&R and they were very nice telling me to send it back and they will fix it...$18.00 shipping and the gun went to them. I got the gun back in a week and was happy with their customer service. moment of truth....sighting the gun in and it goes "CLICK" again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!! call H&R and they said send it back in.....I do and I get the gun 3 weeks later...Ok first shot goes bang and second shot goes, you got it..."CLICK!!!!!!!".....WTF!!!!!! they tell me they replaced every moving part on the gun but it still wont shoot!!!!!!!!!!! I will be on the phone with them on monday morning to find out what their remedey is!!!!!!!! I have zero confidence in this gun and dont think I will ever...I also had a friend have the same problem and he got rid of it...Has anyone had a similar problem? I will post what they suggest...Its just so frustrating.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2009, 08:22 AM
Barner

Not familiar with that model but it could be a worn firing pin I've had it happen on a rifle before never knew when the gun was gonna shoot.check around and take it to a local gunsmith sometimes they are better
Old 12-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Barner

Would make sense but in the repair order I got back both times it says they replaced it, twice! Thanks for the reply..On phone now waiting for an answer....
Old 12-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Barner

Again I will say customer service has been great.....Sending the gun back with a letter stating I want a different gun...I was told that they replaced every moving part on this gun twice and if it still dont work they should replace it with a new one...Just not too sure how thats gonna work with NJ's strict gun laws....We'll see how it works out.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Barner

I am assuming you have the single shot model. What it sounds like to me is the spring for the hammer maybe streched a little and it doesn't have enough tension to it. just my thought
Old 12-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Senior Barner

Shell could be sitting to far forward because of the barrel cut.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Barner

Cool

another post with misfire trouble in an H&R
Old 12-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Barner

I would have to think that it does have to do with the cut in the barrell and the shell may be sitting too far forward. I say this because they replaced every moving part in the gun 2 times.....I'm done with this gun...
Old 12-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Veteran Barner

..That IS frustrating!...i have the H&R 20 ga. ultra slug hunter now for 4 yrs with no problems!...i also shoot lightfields out of it! I dont blame you for being done with it.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Barner

i only had 2 misfires with my 12. both were the hornady sst. the 20 or so lightfields i shot had zero misfires.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Barner

Hey H&R Thats what I am hearing from people...they only have a couple of misfires...But when it costs you a deer its frustrating..Their should be NO misfires!!!!!!! My gun would shoot just fine at the range(30-40 rounds)and then it would misfire once in a while. I've put 100's of rounds through it just to try and get it to work and it only got worse...My advice is this, if it misfired once chances are it will do it again....I dont want to be in the tree with that gun and hoping that it will go off when I pull the trigger...I put too much time and money into this sport for that game of chance....Whats funny is that when you speak to anyone at H&R they tell you that they havent heard of this problem before when I know for a fact that freinds sent the gun in for the misfire problems....I just want a gun that works!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Barner

yea its only with the hornadys. kinda sux cuzz thats what i shoot. take a look at the primer on a hornady sst. look how deep that primer is set. i have a feeling the problem is in that "transfer bar" system they use. the hammer hits a bar which then transfers that energy to the firing pin. the hammer doesnt directly strike the firing pin, iam willing to bet, thats where it (misfires) comes from. iam wondering if theres a way to get a firing pin made that has a few thousands more travel into the primer
Old 12-27-2009, 09:13 PM
Senior Barner

QuintonZ29
If you have not heard anything from H&R by Jan 18th let me know because I will be meeting with them on the 19th.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Barner

i bought my son a 20 ga. the pin is hitting primer but wont go off 2 3 4 5 times put in my 20 dbl they go off i'm also stuck and not sure what gonna do possible a gunsmith but don't wanna pay for repair if gonna cost more than gun when H&R should be responsible for their product
Old 01-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Barner

Just got off the phone with H&R...They are looking at the gun now and are unsure yet what they are going to do for me.....I am leaning for my my money back and this is why... A friend had the same problem, traded the gun in for a new one after he had the repair done to it...So now with his new identical gun he had no problems sighting it in....But....CLICK!!!!!!! would not fire again one night on a doe......He was using Hornaday slugs at that time..He took it to the range and switched slugs again and hasnt had a problem..yet....But!!!!!! Ive been there also before.....the problem keeps coming back in time......I dont wanna chance it....