c-lect choke - Buck Barn
Buck Barn

Interested In Advertising With Us? ...Click Here!

Go Back   Buck Barn > Equipment & How-To > Guns & Ammunition

Old 12-19-2008, 12:08 AM
Banned

Default c-lect choke

I have a little problem. I just moved to jersey and I have to use a shotgun to shoot deer now. So i bought a Mossberg 500 with a c-lect choke. It has three selections the first is 1.CYL the second is MOD and the third is FULL. I found out that Full is for a close pattern shot like for turkey but what is Mod and 1 cyl for. And which one can I shoot slugs with. Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2008, 07:55 AM
Senior Barner

okay. i don't know what 1. cyl is but i do know that mod. is modified choke which is used for like quail, pheasent, squirrel,and grouse. it is wider than full so im guessing that 1. cyl is improved cylinder which is also used for quail, pheasent,sqirrel, and grouse. woodcock too. and lastly you have to look down the barrel and see if it is rifled or smooth. to shoot slugs you have to have a scope or iron sights and a rifled barrel. its the law. well i hope this answered your questions.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:02 AM
Barner

Default use a full choke with 00 or 000 buck shot

you should be good out to 50 yds. you need iron sights or a scope for slugs.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Barner

Default it's not a 1

It's an I for Improved
Old 12-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Barner

Improved cylinder is what the Brits would term "quarter choke". (1/2 = MOD, etc.) IC would be my first choice for shooting slugs but you'll need sights on the gun to be legal in NJ.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Senior Barner

I don't believe it is a law that you need a rifled barrel to shoot slugs. Many of the early slug barrels were smooth bore. Does anyone know for sure?
Old 12-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Barner

Default mako you don't need a rifled barrel

In N.J. you need to have iron sights or a scope smooth bore slugs are fine jus have either or on your gun
Old 12-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy View Post
you should be good out to 50 yds. you need iron sights or a scope for slugs.
I found a product that is a side saddle scope mount. It is like a bracket that fits over and uses some sort of tension pins to stay still. I think its called "B square". Any advise on this product?
Old 12-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjproperties View Post
I found a product that is a side saddle scope mount. It is like a bracket that fits over and uses some sort of tension pins to stay still. I think its called "B square". Any advise on this product?
You are correct. It is called B square. I have one on my 500. Mine came with rings already on it. Its simple to install, and very solid.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Pac View Post
You are correct. It is called B square. I have one on my 500. Mine came with rings already on it. Its simple to install, and very solid.
Would you be able to do me a favor and send a pic to my email. I am a visual learner and I need a mental image of the item. I cant understand how it attaches to the mossberg 500. Thanks in advance,
Ron.rjproperties@gmail.com
Old 12-21-2008, 08:00 AM
Barner

i belive the trem used is adjustable rear sigth, & yes there are two types of slugs out one for rifled barrles & one for smooth bore the later has groves in the slugs so it will spin on it own, rifled barrles will spin the slug thourgh the barrle.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Barner

Quote:
Would you be able to do me a favor and send a pic to my email. I am a visual learner and I need a mental image of the item. I cant understand how it attaches to the mossberg 500. Thanks in advance,
Ron.rjproperties@gmail.com
Yes. Im away right now. I will send you a pic late monday or early tues.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Senior Barner

Quote:
Stay away from the one sided one. If you put one on get the saddle version that goes over both sides of the receiver .I have a whole box of the one sided ones that people brought back because they moved on them.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Barner

Quote:
I have a little problem. I just moved to jersey and I have to use a shotgun to shoot deer now. So i bought a Mossberg 500 with a c-lect choke. It has three selections the first is 1.CYL the second is MOD and the third is FULL. I found out that Full is for a close pattern shot like for turkey but what is Mod and 1 cyl for. And which one can I shoot slugs with. Thanks for your help
I was about to e mail that pic. Nevermind. cancerbeater