Whats the farthest you have killed a deer with buck shot? [Archive] - Buck Barn

: Whats the farthest you have killed a deer with buck shot?

"String Music"
11-22-2010, 12:38 PM
I want to know what is the furthest shot you guys have put on a deer and harvested them? I am a "Bow Hunter" normally but just bought a Remington 870 Super Mag (3 1/2 ") 12 gauge "Bone Collector" edition.... I have shot a big 8 before at only 20 yards with my fathers Browning Belgium 2 3/4" and that deer ran a ways before finding first blood! Thanks guys! :thup:

bobibugs
11-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Never had to shoot more than 30 yds. with buckshot. Like yourself, I spend the majority of deer hunting with bow. So most of my stand locations are set up for the close range shots. Anything, set up for more than 30 yds. I go with the TC omega. Love that muzzleloader!

Buckeye
11-22-2010, 02:27 PM
anywhere up to 50yds is good with most buckshoot, sometimes those deer wear bullproof vest!!:mad: that's why i switched to a slug gun.

bluewater00
11-22-2010, 03:22 PM
I shot an 8 pt at 80 paces with my Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag. The deer ran about 200 yds and died. I used 3.5" 00 Buckshot and a full choke. The deer had two pellets in it's neck and three between the last rib and the hind leg. The hit caused blood to spatter on the snow at the exit side confirming the hit. The deer left one more drop of blood about eighty yards from the impact site. He traveled another 120 or so before my friend found him at the edge of a small pond in a thicket. The gun can shoot and hold a pattern well.

Flintlock
11-22-2010, 03:47 PM
I shot an 8 pt at 80 paces with my Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag. The deer ran about 200 yds and died. I used 3.5" 00 Buckshot and a full choke. The deer had two pellets in it's neck and three between the last rib and the hind leg. The hit caused blood to spatter on the snow at the exit side confirming the hit. The deer left one more drop of blood about eighty yards from the impact site. He traveled another 120 or so before my friend found him at the edge of a small pond in a thicket. The gun can shoot and hold a pattern well.

Hey bluewater, sounds like you did, but have you patterned that gun? I shoot the same gun and i used a full choke but wasnt hitting that many pellets at 50yds. I patterned it last season and found with 3 1/2" 00buck i was getting 12 out of 18 pellets in a paper plate. DEVASTATING! :shoot:put two down last year and they didnt budge! Just curious if you tried that choke.

beakbuster
11-22-2010, 04:38 PM
ahhhhh the mossberg 835. grandfather gave me 835 a few years back and ive shot plenty of deer with it. best cheap gun you can buy in myh opinion. shot a 9 ptr with it at 80 yrds and dropped him in his tracks. nasty pattern but kicks like a mule

grtwhthunter/fisherman
11-22-2010, 05:43 PM
with buckshot i dont shoot more than 40 if that.like mentioned. yea you may hit the deer but blood isnt pouring out like bow.if you shoot somewhere thick near dark finding blood is a scary situation. im a bowhunter also dont like far shots.

Bux n Dux
11-22-2010, 05:53 PM
I recently shot a buck with only 20 gauge 2 buck at close to 55 yards away he was running flat out i aimed on his nose... shot and he did a forward roll and died right on the spot:shoot: with a 12 gauge i wouldnt doubt that you could drop one at 70 yards

Get Some
11-22-2010, 07:19 PM
60 yds,3" 0 buck,dropped dead in his tracks.full choke Rem 1100 Mag.Killed many at 30-40 yds,not one ran more than 2 steps.

bluewater00
11-22-2010, 07:25 PM
Hey Flint,
I patterned it a while back with the full choke when I first got it with buckshot and turkey loads. I was happy with both patterns at fifty yards, like you said plenty of pellets in the plate. I don't remember how many but it was impressive enough that I didn't have to pattern it anymore except on a toms head or a deers vitals. Thank god, that gun really packs a wallop when you pull the trigger. 3.5" 00 buck and 3.5" 5's for turkeys

Buckshot61
11-22-2010, 07:35 PM
80+ yds. 36 inch bolt action Marlin goose gun with 3 inch 00...
the thing is a beast.......

Flintlock
11-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Hey Flint,
I patterned it a while back with the full choke when I first got it with buckshot and turkey loads. I was happy with both patterns at fifty yards, like you said plenty of pellets in the plate. I don't remember how many but it was impressive enough that I didn't have to pattern it anymore except on a toms head or a deers vitals. Thank god, that gun really packs a wallop when you pull the trigger. 3.5" 00 buck and 3.5" 5's for turkeys

Yes it does. I bought mine when they first came out and they didnt port the barrels on them then. When i fired the 00 3 1/2 buckshot through that barrel, :eek: it felt like i got hit with a sledgehammer. I was on mossberg's website two years ago and stumbled on a link for getting my barrel reblued through them. It cost 25 bucks and for an extra 10 they port it. Good deal, and that made a big difference in the felt recoil. Man does it hit hard and thats why I love that gun!:D

snortweeez
11-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Beretta Extrema II with 3-1/2" federal 00 buckshot with a full choke. The gun is a beast. Throws buck shot like no other. I just got it last year and only shot one deer at 40 yards and layed him in his tracks. Zone 23 piney 8 pointer. The gun is putting all 18 pellets in a 18" diameter at 50 yards. Patterning a gun is a must. No one wants to wound a deer, track it forever and not find it. Take an hour to pattern your gun and save yourself and the deer some hardships.

To answer your question, it depends on the load and the way the gun is patterned.

Darrin Greene
11-23-2010, 04:45 PM
why don't you guys check the kinetic energy of the pellets at these extreme ranges...

I doubt past about 50 you really have a reliable load in buckshot, even at 000. there's just not enough muzzle velocity.

just because it has been done doesn't mean it can be done reliably.

furthest I ever shot one with buckshot was 20 yards...

slug gun 75

muzzleloader 75

centerfire about 40

learn to hunt ;)

grtwhthunter/fisherman
11-23-2010, 05:55 PM
darrin bingo so you get lucky once in awhile .why chance it 70 yrds is far in the woods. like i mentioned before. if youre in a tree and hunting thick swamp i highly doubt you can even see that far. if you can grt. but if youre in a tree say 20 ft up and shoot 70 yrds in low light i think it would almost b impossible to know exactly where u shot ,once you get down to grnd level its a different landscape totaly. and also buckshot does not leave a gapping hole blood wont b pouring out. i know some guns shoot big at far distances but even if it drops say 70 yrds is fffffaaaaarrrrr in the thick.p.s. my response was only for guys hunting swamps ///lmao:D

bluewater00
11-23-2010, 06:14 PM
I trust my weapon when I pull the trigger the same as I trust my golf club choice. I wouldn't shoot unless the shot was open and I can make the kill. Same as some bowhunters that shoot far distances, they know they can do it from practice and they execute the shot. Like I said earlier, the pellets had plenty of velocity because they left blood splatters in the snow when they passed through. I am not the type to close my eyes and pull the trigger and hope for the best. When that trigger goes, so does my target.

beakbuster
11-23-2010, 07:45 PM
not starting anything on here but darinnn "learn to hunt" if i didnt have confidence in the weapon i use, i surely wouldnt shoot. i have passed up more deer because i wasnt confident in the shot then i have killed. thanks for your concern