Long Line Trapper [Archive] - Buck Barn

: Long Line Trapper

Game Slayer
09-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Did it for a few years and was some of the best time ever spent in the woods. :thup:

Pat

ub1243
09-03-2008, 07:54 AM
i'm a trapper. i have a few other trappers around me. it is fun. i learn a lot more then when i just chased deer.

DoOver
09-10-2008, 12:24 AM
My neighbor's boy. about 15. got a nice bobcat last season. Nice job.
Brian

Barrell
09-13-2008, 10:09 PM
I might trap again this year. Its been about 7 or 8 years since I beaver trapped. I used to set Both Susqahanna and Wyoming counties in Pa. Eight hours a day seven days a week. Learned alot about all kinds of wildlife. It was very quiet in the remote areas of Pa in January. It was also very cold when I would break through the ice and get wet. I always carried a change of clothes. Had a beaver my first year wheighed 68 pounds. I caught many 40lbers through the next couple years but never got one that big again.

philjam
09-13-2008, 11:04 PM
A long line is long - at least 100 miles per day on the PA check law. In one month that = 3000 miles. That is $750 in gas alone. Figure on running 10 dozen traps + equipment (stakes, wire, swivels, etc.) add another $1000. Stay with me. So far you are out $1750.
How much fur must you catch, process and sell to make money on a long line? How much work? Here is an example where only raccoons are targeted. The numbers are variable to a degree.

Raccoons to break even - 100 raccoons @ $17.50 each (assuming you know how to find a buyer willing to pay $17.50 nose count.) That is a minimum of 4 raccoons per day. At the end of the day you must skin, flesh and stretch those coons per industry standards. Every day, for 30 days, just to break even.

So just how does a trapper make out on this example of a long line?

You catch and correctly process 1000 raccoons in 30 days. That is a gross profit of $17,500. Net profit is minus expenses: 17500 - 1750 = 15750. For what?

Wake up at 4AM. On the road by 5. Check 120 sets. Rermove 30 coons and reset 30 traps. At 15 minutes per = 7.5 hours just for this. Covering the rest of the line takes an additional 4 hours. Total line time = 11.5 hours. Skin 30 coon @ 6 minutes each = 3 hours. Total time so far = 14.5 hours. Time is now 7:30PM

A one month season running these numbers would net you around $30 per hour. The work is back breaking, bone wearying, dangerous, frustrating and dependent on mother nature and weather.

It is similar to the crab fishing program on tv. Must go out in a limited season and max the catch. Knowledge, resource, gear, attitude, etc. all figure into success or failure.

No time was alloted for sleeping, eating, family, recreation, going to bathroom, etc.

ACEarcher
09-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Well when you put it that way LOL!!!!!!

I was just thinking about trapping harder this up coming winter cause i heard that the coon price is going to go up a lot. I heard some places saying close to $20 a pelt. Now, I'm not no pro trapper I probably wouldn't even call myself seasoned just yet, but I got a lot of coon at my places and if it gets that high man I think I'm gonna go to town.

Shear Madness
09-17-2008, 12:21 AM
I always trapped for the fun of it and never the money. I used to run 20 to 50 traps and snares per day before work. I always looked at it like recreation as hunting or fishing which we don't make any money from. Covering gas would be great though.

Now longlining, thats a whole different animal and commitment.

Barrell
09-17-2008, 03:22 PM
I quit a few years ago after catching 32 beaver in upstate PA and the dealer only wanted to give me $12 a piece for them. I had missed the local firehouse buying show where the dealers came from all around to buy and only had the local buyer to go to. Theese were green and frozen pelts as I was to busy running the traps to flesh and dry them.

philjam
09-17-2008, 06:59 PM
I quit a few years ago after catching 32 beaver in upstate PA and the dealer only wanted to give me $12 a piece for them. I had missed the local firehouse buying show where the dealers came from all around to buy and only had the local buyer to go to. Theese were green and frozen pelts as I was to busy running the traps to flesh and dry them.

Catching beaver is a whole lot of demanding, sometimes dangerous, phyical labor requiring skill, tools, etc. Putting up beaver (skin, flesh, stretch and dry) to NAFA standards is more physical work. I hve all the tools, knowledge, etc. But lack the physical fortitude.

Coons are going to be around $20 early. If you want to find out the ins and outs of trapping this year, go to the PA Trappers fall convention and meeting. Sept. 28 at the West End Fairgrounds on Rt. 209 in Gilbert PA 8AM to 6PM

ganggreen
09-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Beaver trapping is cake. I had 62 beaver, 4 otter and some accidental coons and rats in 12 days last season. By the time I was done it was a 90 mile day with 3 dozen traps. You don't need alot of traps for animals such as beaver or coon when you can keep reusing dirty traps. Reuse wire and everything. Now, on the other hand, when I'm canine trapping I use around 350 traps. You can make money. Just remember its not how many sets you have out, it's the location that matters.

ACEarcher
09-25-2008, 01:37 PM
I thought that show was on the 27th Saturday?????? Or is it Sunday the 28th?????

philjam
09-27-2008, 12:39 PM
I thought that show was on the 27th Saturday?????? Or is it Sunday the 28th?????

It is both days. I think there is snaring course on Sun.

grtwhthunter/fisherman
09-29-2008, 12:14 PM
no lie heres one for ya. i live in south jersey learned to trap rats ,coon and was learning fox probly23 yrs ago im 42 now well at that time before they outlawed legholds . rats were between 7-8 dollars black rats were ten, these were lrg size, raccon went for 27 - 30 depending quality, and fox were 45 for gry, upwards of 75 for reds, and no shirt oppossum would b 1:50 regardless, which i was a pro at lol.by time i really got good and started actually catchin fox prices dropped out totaly, ending it for me put my energy into poonis tangis delicious ..... lol lol ;) i would like to learn how to snare some coyotes.